Friday, December 3, 2010

Kids these days...

My 7th graders are going on a field trip today to see a math play. As I was explaining to my students yesterday about the plan for today, the first question they had was, "Can we bring electronics?"
This blows my mind. The bus trip will be around an hour, should be less but traffic will not be great. I lied and told the students that it will be about a 30 minute bus trip (which is not really a lie, if I were to drive from school it would take about 30 minutes) and that you do not need your electronics. They still insisted that they will download a tv episode to watch on the way there.
Want to know why our schools are "failing?" Maybe, it should be worded, "Want to know why our culture is failing?"
More on the field trip after I return.

1 comment:

  1. I want to clarify that I am not blaming technology for anything. I think the rate at which technology has developed is impressive. I love that I live in this time with such great technologies. However, I do blame people themselves, especially parents for not instilling high standards and creative thinking. It appears to me that people are satisfied with things that are not the best.

    ReplyDelete